06 June 2012

This Can't Be Happening, Can It?


Okay, so this one is from NASA. But OMFG. AMAZING!
Last night, I watched, awe-struck, as SLOOH and NASA showed me the Transit of Venus. It was so humbling. We are so small in the grand scheme of things. I also listened intently as astronomers, physicists, and other scientists explained the significance of this event. They also talked about other amazing things out there in space, and even a brewmaster weighed in. It was just.. amazing.

Legit.


My demonic child was silent as she watched and pointed and giggled, and my Mom was annoyed at the geek squealing and sucking all the bandwidth. She totally thought it was cool, too, don't let her fool you! It was definitely a night I will always remember, and my Pinterest proves just how amazed I was (THE PICTURES. OMFG.).

BUT!

I woke up to some of the saddest news I've heard about a celebrity death ever.

Ray Bradbury, greatest Science Fiction writer EVER, passed away at 91. I am not even ashamed to admit that I sat, staring, at the headline, tears streaming down my face. It has officially ruined my day, and I agree with my sister: They better turn him into a robot, because life will be really depressing without his writing.

Two profound events in the course of 12 hours? The only thing I can say, is his death probably tickled him pink. The Transit of Venus won't happen again in our lifetime (next time around? 2117. 105.5 years from now.), and he died right after it? No better send-off for a Science Fiction mastermind.

I really don't have anything else to say. I've never been so affected by a "celebrity" death. I idolized him; I have every single book he's ever written; I've read them to the point of falling apart. Today truly is a time in my life that I will always remember.

The good, and the bad.

Here are some more of the amazing images I snapped off the SLOOH website last night to finish off the post I've cried throughout writing:
From the University of New Mexico. The clouds add to the beauty.
From The Prescott Observatory in Arizona. How gorgeous is this? Right??
UiO, Norway. Just.. OMFG.

No comments:

Post a Comment