26 March 2012

Are You Drawing Something?




I finally jumped on the bandwagon and downloaded Draw Something. I tried to get the paid version, but, apparently the Google Market hates me, so I had to settle for the free version. I bugged a couple of friends (who dearly love hate me) to play, and got down to business.
OHMYGOD! I can't draw. At all. In any situation. It's terrible. But this game? It's so much fun! I am mighty with my stick figures, let me tell you. I can't believe I waited so long to grab this app. It's quickly becoming my favorite game, and I've only had it for an hour or so. I am having a blast trying to draw things like an Ewok, sideburns, justice, Norway, Adele -- and most of the time, people are getting it. How, exactly, people are getting it, I will never know.

Unfortunately, just like with any other app, there are pros and cons. I say unfortunately, because I really hate the cons on Draw Something. Like I said, I haven't been playing long, but I can spot the good and the bad. I've seen what my friends and their friends are saying on Twitter, Facebook, Google +, etc. I can read the reviews on the Google Market. In the name of coughcoughresearchcoughcough, I've compiled a quick list for your reading pleasure. Do not let this deter you from downloading and fully enjoying this app on either your Android device or your Apple device. It's well worth all the cons!
Pros of Draw Something
  • Fun. Fun fun fun FUN fun! You can play with all your friends, across platforms, and have a blast. You can find your Facebook friends, email contacts, or search by username. I'm not sure of the limit of games you can have at a time, but I've got seven going, and it doesn't seem to mind adding more.
  • You can get the free version or the (ad-free) paid version ($0.99). I want to get the paid version ASAP, and I have been assured by the email they sent me that when I do, all my games and friends and contacts will carry over. I won't skip a beat, and I won't have to deal with those pesky -- yet few and far between -- ads.
  • Multiple line sizes, eraser sizes, color packs, BOMBS!, and lots of other neat features, make for a pretty easy time drawing up or guessing something. Now, I've heard a lot of people call it cheating when others draw on their tablets (Android powered or iPad), or use a stylus. I don't see it as cheating. I have a rather large-screened phone, so it's pretty easy for me to make something that resembles what I've been told to draw. Does that mean I'm cheating? Nope. It means I've got a big ass phone, and if I had a small one, my stuff would probably suck just as much. So, enough of that already!
  • Fun things to draw always make for a good game. You can pick from the Easy, Medium, or Hard topic listed, and earn coins to buy bombs and color packs (I think.. more research is needed on color packs). You earn one, two, or three, depending on which difficulty you or your opponent choose, for each correct guess.
Cons of Draw Something
  • WHERE ARE THE NOTIFICATIONS?! Seriously. You have to either keep the game open, and wait forever for it to refresh, or keep constantly opening and closing it to check on your open games. No me gusta meme face here. It drains my battery like crazy, and annoys me to no end. This will annoy me more when I grab the paid version. If I'm paying for it, I want notifications, son! I guess Apple users have notifications, but what about us Android folks? COME ON ALREADY!
  • You can't find friends from any social network but Facebook. Most of my friends are there, but some aren't. Actually, I try to stay away from Facebook as much as possible. I'm more of a Twitter and Google + girl. I would love to add my Twitter friends without having to wait for them to tell me their username. That could take days, I tell you! DAYS! I don't want to wait. I want to force them into a game where I perfectly draw an Autobot symbol without so much as thinking twice, and then do the same thing with an Ewok. Oh, God. I'm such a nerd. I need to do a quick check for lady parts, because I obviously lost them somewhere.........okay, we're good! Carry on!
  • You have to draw A LOT to get enough coins to do anything. You can buy them, but why do that when free is so much better. It's like a rewards system for broke people. I still don't have to like it...
  • The colors they start you out with should include things like green, pink, brown, and grey. You only get red, black, yellow, and blue. There should be a few more to help you along. I swear, my friend could've saved me 20 minutes of scratching my head if he had just had some green or grey. Though, props to him for drawing the closing scene of the season two finale from The Walking Dead. Prison. He's so clever!
  • It doesn't seem to be possible to look back at what you've drawn. I really hate that, because I want to screen-cap my Autobot symbol and my interpretations of Adele and Eminem. I mean, come on, this isn't at all feasible? LET ME GO BACK AND CHECK MY SKILLS OUT!
All-in-all, I don't have much to complain about; it's a great app. It runs smooth, it looks nice, the concept is solid, and lots of fun, and there has been one ad in the few hours I've been playing. I don't feel the need to buy the paid version for any other reason than to support the developers so when I whine that I want changes, I can rub in the fact that I PAID TO WHINE. I have had so much fun playing a silent version of Pictionary with my friends, and I can't wait to really dive in. I highly suggest this app to all, and if you get it, join me for a game!

No comments:

Post a Comment