26 March 2012

American Idol: Top 24 Chosen, 13th Guy To Be Announced




It's been a long and extremely boring process, but the audition phase is finally over, and we have our top 24 Idol contestants for 2012 . Whether you agree with the choices or not, they're here, and they're all going to be vying for your votes. They've also added to the drama by announcing that a 25th contestant will be added by way of a 13th male contestant. Idol is definitely reaching for the stars this year, only it's kind-of like watching the Kardashians, but slightly less ridiculous.

It took three hours, two nights, and more stalling and dramatic antics from the judges, to get here. There are some I was more than happy to see go through (Heejun fan girl, right here), and some I was left in complete wonderment over. The 13th guy will be announced Tuesday, February 28th, I'm assuming before the start of the first male competition. There were four choices shown as a teaser, and one of them was eliminated rather early (Johnny Keyser), so I'm assuming it'll be him. 

As long as it's not Cowboy, I'll be good.

Top 12 Guys
  • Heejun Han
  • Adam Brock
  • Phil Phillips
  • Reed Grimm
  • Joshua Ledet
  • Eban Franckewitz
  • Colton Dixon
  • Creighton Fraker
  • Jeremy Rosado
  • DeAndre Brackensick
  • Chase Likens
  • Aaron Marcellus
Top 12 Girls
  • Hallie Day
  • Jennifer Hirsh
  • Jessica Sanchez
  • Baylie Brown
  • Chelsea Sorrell
  • Elise Testone
  • Skylar Laine
  • Haley Johnsen
  • Shannon Margrane
  • Brielle Von Hugel
  • Erika Van Pelt
  • Hollie Cavanagh
The choices made my the judges have left me grasping for an idol like Kelly Clarkson, for sure. She was a one-time find, and I don't really think anyone is taking this competition seriously anymore. I was quite happy to find Lauren Gray out, however, because she's no Adele. They made that comparison and I found it laughable. While I'm not a huge Adele fan, let's get real here: Do you really see Lauren Gray winning an armful of Grammys? I don't.

The three hours it took to announce these names included lots of commercials, ridiculously long pauses and comments from the judges, tears from both guys and girls, recaps of their final performances (which made me cringe most of the time), looks back that could've been shorter, and Steven Tyler getting down to his boxers and taking a dip in the pool surrounding the stage. Apparently, last year J Lo had an issue with letting people go. This year, it looks like she put that all behind her, and only showed a little emotion.

Needless to say, this year has been rampant with ups and downs. From what I've seen on social media outlets, people are not loving these contestants. There are some diamonds in the rough, but for the most part, it's all about the drama this season. They're more like a television show than a competition now, and it's showing. I realize that the producers have to look out for their interests, but I think it would serve them better to find actual talent to boost the ratings.

I'm hoping that the rest of the season fares better for the masses, seeing as how we'll be in charge of making the decisions from here on out. I know who my votes are going to, do you?

Hopefully happy watching, folks!

1 comment: